Non techie: Iconic Pumpkin Spice Latte has reemerged; here's how you can make it!
Starbucks’ seasonal Autumn menu is in full swing featuring fan favorites such as the ‘Pumpkin Spice Latte’. As compared to last year, the drink has increased in price by almost 4% based on the location. The ‘Pumpkin Spice Latte’ can now cost anywhere between $5.45 and $5.95 at your nearest Starbucks.
When ordering from third-party delivery services like Uber Eats or Doordash, prices increase significantly the larger the drink is. A short size on Uber Eats will cost 8% more at $5.95 than a tall size that in-store is at $5.45. A venti will cost 25% more on third-party delivery excluding the added delivery fees, at $7.25 per drink.
As prices continue to increase, lovers of the ‘Pumpkin Spice Latte’ have been on the search for recipes. Worldwide searches for this drink's recipe increased by 570% from the beginning of the year to October 2022.
Food experts from Food Fire Friends have researched the cost of making a Pumpkin Spice Latte at home using ingredients from Target.
A homemade version of the Pumpkin Spice Latte was found to be 56% less compared to Starbucks. The price of regular milk would be $2.37 while plant-based milk would average $2.46.
The homemade variant costs 56% less compared to Starbucks. The price comes up to $2.37 or $2.46 if using a plant-based milk alternative.
These are the ingredients needed for Starbucks’ ‘Pumpkin Spice Latte’:
- Whole Milk/Plant-based alternative – price per 1 cup $0.62/$0.71
- Pure Pumpkin Puree – price per 1 tbsp $0.09
- Granulated Sugar – price per 1 tbsp $0.02
- Vanilla Extract – price per ½ tbsp $1.03
- Coffee – price per 30mls $0.55
- Pumpkin Pie Spice blend – price per ¼ tsp $0.06
Method (for one serving)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Cut your pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds – you can keep these to roast or discard.
- Brush the inside of the pumpkin with vegetable oil (optional) and place cut side down on the baking tray. Pierce the skin with a fork to allow steam to escape during baking. Place into the oven and roast for 40-50 minutes or until a fork can pierce the skin with ease. Allow to cool.
- Once the pumpkin has cooled, scoop out the flesh and place it into a food processor. Puree the pumpkin till smooth – you can add a few drops of water if the machine is having trouble pureeing.
- When ready to make the latte, add the milk, pumpkin puree and sugar to a saucepan and heat over medium. Do not boil this mixture, as the milk -can curdle.
- Once the mixture has heated through, add in the spices, vanilla extract and freshly brewed 30mls of coffee.
- Stir and then pour into a mug and enjoy!
To start, you will need 1 cup of milk which averages around $5.79 at Target, 1 tbsp of pumpkin puree priced at $2.79, 1 tbsp of sugar priced at $2.99, ½ tbsp of vanilla priced at $1.03, 30 mls of coffee priced at $4.99 and ¼ tsp of pumpkin spice mix priced at $1.99.
In the end, it costs a total of $27.24 to make your own Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Individually, one serving is quoted to be $2.37, which is a steal compared to Starbucks’ recent pricing.
Horizon Organic Whole Milk/Oatly The Original Oatmilk
Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
Good and Gather Granulated Sugar
McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
Folgers Classic Medium Roast Coffee
Good and Gather Pumpkin Pie Spice blend
Credit to foodfirefriends.com.
Claire Becknell contributed this piece.